Facts about Brandon
According to Eilert Ekwall (The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names) the likely origin of the name is “Brandon, usually ‘hill where broom grows’”, the earliest known spelling being in the 11th century when the town, gradually expanding up and along the rising ground of the river valley, was called Bromdun. From prehistoric times the area was mined for flint as can be seen at Grimes Graves, a popular Brandon tourist destination. Much more recently, the town was a major centre for the production of gunflints.
In medieval times and beyond Brandon was renowned for its rabbit fur. On 14 May 1789, the town suffered a Great Fire, a report of which can be found at the Brandon Heritage Centre. While all the young men were away at a fair day in nearby Thetford, a fire caused by a lightning strike set fire to the surgeon’s house which quickly spread to the surrounding properties.
Sports in Brandon
Brandon has a thriving football junior club for ages 5 years up to under 16. The Brandon Lads and Lasses A.F.C has squads of boys and girls competing in the Ipswich & Suffolk Youth League, South Norfolk Youth League, Mid Norfolk Youth League. Brandon has a lawn bowls club, Brandon Town Bowling Club, which plays outdoors in the summer. The leisure centre, run by Anglia Community Leisure, also offers badminton, squash, tennis, an indoor 5 a-side hall and an outdoor 6 a-side pitch.