Facts about Loddon
Loddon is a small market town and electoral ward about 12 miles (19 km) southeast of Norwich on the River Chet, a tributary of the River Yare within The Broads in Norfolk, England. The name “Loddon” is thought to mean muddy river in Celtic in reference to the Chet.
The earliest written mention of Loddon (Lodne) is in the will of Ælfric Modercope written in 1042 or 1043. In the will Ælfric split his land holdings in Loddon, Bergh Apton and Barton between the Bishops of Bury, Ely and St Benet of Holme. Ælfric held 450 acres (1.8 km2) of land in Loddon and was by far the biggest landowner. His manor house is believed to have been close by the church overlooking the river and the fields are known as Manor Yards.
The Parish Council adopted Ælfric for Loddon’s town sign in 1961 and the bronze statue still stands on Farthing Green.
Although Loddon and Chedgrave have been flooded many times through history, the worst or at least the best documented occasions were in August 1912 and September 1968. At about midnight on 27 August 1912 a portion of the roadway was washed away and soon afterwards part of the bridge caved in. The footbridge across the river between the two industrial sites disappeared downstream. The mill was in great jeopardy and forty men worked hard to preserve as much of the road as possible. The piling and the banks of the Chet were washed away and some of the wherries broke their moorings.
On 12 September 1968 a great storm followed a very wet summer, so when the heavy rain came that night the ground was too waterlogged to let the rain drain away. According to the Eastern Daily Press it had been Norfolk’s wettest ever September day. The torrential rain was accompanied by thunder and lightning and many roads were inches deep in water.