Facts about Farringdon
There are numerous places in England called Farringdon; all meaning fern-covered hill. William and Nicholas de Faringdon, whose name is likely to have originated from one of these places, were two related prominent citizens and Aldermen in the early 13th century. Nicholas purchased the area of the Farringdon ward of the City of London in 1279 and became its Alderman in 1281.
Farringdon Street was built by covering part of the River Fleet in the Farringdon Without Ward of the City. The street was named after either the Ward or after the Nicholas de Faringdon. Also, Farringdon Road was an extension of Farringdon Street, also built over the River Fleet, but lying northward, beyond the City.
Farringdon is a small district in Central London, the southern part of the London Borough of Islington. The term is used to describe the area around Farringdon station. Historically the district corresponded to the parish of St Sepulchre and part of Clerkenwell.
The area’s name is a back-formation: It takes its name from the station, which was in turn named after Farringdon Street. To the south lie the City of London wards of Farringdon Within and Farringdon Without. The City Wards, which were once a single unit, are unconnected to the distinct area of Farringdon to their north, though there is an etymological connection.